Friday, September 26, 2008

SUE AND O.D.


This couple deserve an award for being lifelong friends of ours.  Sue and O.D. have weathered the last 35? years with us.  I wish I could say that I had introduced them but I can't.  Sue became a member of SDC (Sacre Dulce Choir) around 1969? She was our new pianist and at first was just a little shy but that wore off quickly.  She was a home economics teacher at Olympus High School.  She had her Masters and had traveled.  I was quite impressed.

O.D. (Olan Dale) I met a few years earlier in 1967? at BYU.  He lived in the King Henry Apartments where I was also.  I found out that their apartment was in desperate need of a cook and when I say desperate, they hired me on the spot.  Now there was an experience.  I don't remember how many weeks I lasted but this group of characters were quite unique.  I won't go into more.  I brought all my favorite recipes out and cooked and shopped and cooked and shopped.  After a few weeks, I knew this was not "my cup of tea".  But the "boys" continued to be my friends.  After graduation and a couple of years teaching I ran across O.D. again when he was introduced as a friend of Sue's.  They were actually married before Lee and I.

The four  of us became close friends.  Sue and OD made sure that we attended the temple once a month for many years.  We loved board and card games.  OD thinks he can beat me at dominoes, Mormon Rummy, Ticket to Ride, and/or Settlers of Catan.  I always give him a run for his money.  Lee and Sue surprise us with a win once in a while.  OD was always in the circle when our children were blessed.  Sue could tell when she was needed.  When I was having a rough week she asked to take Sandie, Jane and Andrew to the zoo.   I was delighted and the children were prepared.  Not having children of her own Sue thought she could handle the 3 of them at the zoo.  We got the girls in the car but Andrew wouldn't have any of it.  He screamed and threw a fit but at 3 years old and leaving his mother was not a good thing.  I waved at them as they drove down the street.  Andrew's face was smashed against the window in a scream.  I took myself back inside to have a rest.  Thank you Sue for those 3 hours of peace.

Through the years it was Sue who I went to for advise, a shoulder and lunch.  My heart is full of gratitude for this wonderful couple who has been with us throughout our lives.  We spent last Saturday Night with them at the OC Tanner concert.  We love you both dearly.



Aren't they cute?  You will often see them serving in the Salt Lake Temple.

2 comments:

jill said...

Everyone deserves such a friend but many are not lucky enough to have one. How lucky you and your family are. Thanks for sharing a great story about a wonderful couple.
Love ya,
Jill H

Sandie said...

Even though we don't see them that often, I still think of them as family. Sue and O.D., we love you!