Monday, August 25, 2008

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE



When I pass on I expect to be laid out in my whites with new socks and new shoes and all the fancy other stuff.  I will try to have them on hand before I go.  In my hands will be a small package of plain M & M's instead of a sweet white handkerchief.  Goodness what would I do with one of those when a package of chocolate would do just as well.  And all around the room where I will be viewed will be beautiful flowers and bowls of M & M's to munch on.  Blue and yellow with a little green sprinkled in would be nice.

You now know how I feel about these chocolate sweets and how fixated I may be when I say I want my chocolate.

So when I left Walmart the other day with my groceries, I expected to be able to go home and put away these items and sit down with a handful of M & M's while I read a few pages.  As I shuffled through the bags for the items to be refrigerated, I noticed that there were no M & M's in the cute little retro bag that I knew I had paid for.  There was also no bread.  I couldn't find the receipt, Sandie has called and reminded me that I am supposed to be up at the Hale Theatre at 12:30 to see BIG with the cousins,  and I am late but decide to get in at the intermission.  On my way I stopped at Walmart to make my complaint about missing a bag of groceries .  How could this happen????  My chocolate was gone!!!  I talked to the clerk, the service desk, the little guy monitoring the check stand who says I have to have a receipt.  I said it was probably in the bag I didn't get.  Oh, well!  Chalk it up to a lost cause.

When I returned home after the play and looked for the pepper jack cheese to make Lee a sandwich, I couldn't find it, nor the feta, bananas or avocados.  What had happened?  Lee said that was too much money to be lost so he decided to go over to Walmart and talk to the manager.  I made a list and said goodbye, because I wasn't going with him.

Thirty minutes later he returns home with a bag of groceries.  He went to the assistant manager who was a tall, handsome, black man. (Somalia or Sudanese)  He offered his hand and introduced himself and the manager responded in kind.  (Lee is such a PR person)  He explained how his irresponsible wife didn't see that all the bags from that ridiculous carousel got into her cart.  The young man said "no, it is the responsibility of his cashier to make sure they are in the cart and out the door."  He instructed a young man to go around with Lee to pick up the items on his list and see that he got out the door with them.  Now that is the way a customer should be taken care of.  Lee was just a-struttin' like a peacock when he got home.  And I sat and enjoyed my M & M's that evening.

Oh, don't forget the bowls at the viewing.

8 comments:

Hunsaker Family said...

I'm so impressed with Lee and his recovery of the groceries! No way one should lose a bag of M&M's (oh and other important things like vegetables, etc.).

Mary Gardner said...

I volunteer to be in charge of the M&M's; I'm good at being in charge of the chocolate.

And I'll even throw in some Meier's brownies. Now that's some chocolate!

Mary

Alissa said...

I like the M&M's idea. I'll help fill the bowls!

Sandie said...

Good things to know for the future! Should I start taking notes?

Andrew and Lori said...

That is my kind of funeral, i will be there. I don't guarentee the bowls being full for very long.
Lori

Jane Anne said...

I came home last week from Costco without a box of dryer wipes I know I bought. I seem to do things like that more and more!

Way to go Lee!!!

Levi said...

Wait, something is missing here.......? Laura, does Paul Harvey Jr. need to radio broadcast "the rest of the story"......Don't worry, it will be our little secret.

kping said...

LOL!!!