Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Last Fieldtrip

I took my very last fieldtrip as a teacher.  We didn't leave until 10:30 so we were able to participate  in Vehicle Day.  This is where several businesses bring in one of their trucks or cars and they take the time to tell the students about their work.  Our first vehicle was a funeral home car that carries the casket.  This is a job that really gets the kids asking the gross questions.  They all want to know what happens to a body that has been completely mangled--how is it taken care of.  The guy wasn't phased at all.  Then we moved over to a hazmat vehicle that stores all the goodies for  figuring out how the fire started or cleaning up a biohazard problem etc.  Now it is getting colder and the sky is turning darker.  Then we move to the animal control officer and he shows us all his tools he works with.  He brought a rabbit with him who decided to go visiting and couldn't find his way home.  It's really getting cold and we move over to the storm drain truck and they  proceed to explain how they clean out the drains and the muck in the sewer.  (Does anyone remember the "Song of the Sewer"?)  We'll have to sing it to you young kids some time.  Anyway  the sky is almost black and we are freezing when we move to the Speedy Tow Truck--this reminds me of the books that talk about Speedy Motors.  By this time we are so cold hardly anyone is listening.  The children are bouncing up and down trying to keep warm.  I ask questions so the guy isn't feeling quite so ignored.  Then we are asked to go sit on the lawn to wait for the helicopter.  The police are getting one of their attack dogs out to demonstrate to us but by then it starts to pour.  We have had enough and I make the decision to take them in.


At 10:30 we are on the bus, going to the planetarium.  I let Cathy be in charge and just sit back and enjoy the ride.  I notice that one of my students is hiding something under her jacket but she says its just a blanket to help keep her warm.  Knowing this little girl's strange ways, I accept this.  When we got off the bus, I notice that she has several dollar bills coming out of her pocket.  I take them and ask her what she is going to do with them.  She wants to spend her allowance money in the little store.  I count ten dollars and tell her she can't do that and I will give it back to her at the end of the day.  Then I tell her to put the blanket under her jacket back on the bus and we head in.  I'm following this little girl up the stairs and notice that she has more money flowing out of her pocket.  I confiscate it along with many quarters and count another $17.00.  A total of $27.00.  These bills are just folded and wadded.  I can't imagine what she was going to do with all this money.  At the end of the day I left a message for Mom and put the money in an envelope to return tomorrow.  Children can do some strange things.  My favorite though, was the little girl who packed her lunch for a fieldrip and on the bus opened the box to discover that her popsicle was melted.  Yes, I'm done but the fun memories just keep returning.  I think I'll miss school.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I love the melted popsicle story. That is great.

jill said...

Laurie,
Happy retirement! Glad Levi is home and the new granddaughter is here. I love reading your blog. It is an easy way for Dave and I to keep up to date.
Love Jill