Saturday, December 6, 2008

Traditional Keepsakes or Crafting














I have been sick for the last couple of days with the 24 hour bug, which meant staying close to the potty.  While laying in bed and sewing on a quilt I began thinking about where my interest came from for the kinds of crafts I like to do.

We are our parents in so very much of what we do whether we like it or not. (Sorry Kids) When I was 8 or 9 I remember Mom sewing our clothes on Grandma Jones' treadle sewing machine.  It wasn't long before I became interested in what she was doing.  I was right at that age where I wanted to try my hand so she taught me how to cut out a skirt that could be sewn with straight lines.  It had an elastic waist.  I can't imagine that I wore it very often but it was a beginning.  
Then Aunt Norie patiently showed me how to crochet a chain. When I was older I made several crocheted blankets, my favorite being the one I use for the grandchildren's blessings.
When I reached the age of 10 Mom saw to it that I was given sewing lessons through the Singer sewing center found  near Kress on Main Street.  I would pack my little sewing case and ride the bus uptown each Saturday.  I made a little cotton dress with a mandarin collar and little pleats or tucks down the front.  At least I knew something about sewing when I reached high school and that teacher that made us take out those seams so much.

When I came home from college, Mom was into doing ceramics.  I spent hours at those tables painting, scraping, fixing the broken greenware.  I made several pieces that have since been sent to DI as their use became out of style.  Sandie has the one piece that I saved, a porcelain piece of a little girl in prayer. Mom made the nativity set.  She was very proud of it.

The above pics are pieces that I have cherished.  The Santa was a candy dish made from pieces of felt.  Aunt Joyce was a great crafter, she always had something for us to hang on the tree.  Mom, I believe made the tree for Aunt Norie and the grapes I love.  We must have discarded Mom's grapes she made so my friend Terri gave these to me until I'm gone and then they need to be returned to her.

So sewing has come easy to me.  I'm not patient and want things done yesterday but I love a good stash of fabric.  And since I know that I don't have to hand quilt any more I'm more excited than ever to get my pieces done.

1 comments:

Jane Anne said...

There's something about doing things with your hands that is so satisfying. I felt like I related to what you were saying about sewing and crocheting. I have recently picked up knitting and I'm really enjoying it. Happy sewing! I hope you are feeling better by the way.