Thursday, February 5, 2009

VALENTINE'S DAY

Little Butt and I were munching on our pink M & M's (thanks Alissa) and appliqueing when my eyes finally gave out.  It is such fine work that I think I'll have to invest in one of those lights with a magnifying glass before long.  So we were thinking about what to blog about next.  Since it is February (I actually saw this word spelled Febuary on GMA yesterday. Which reminds me of a funny email I got from Sue today. I'll pass it along.) Valentines come to mind. I think that Valentine's Day has become one of my favorite holidays.  It is such a sweet, personal time that speaks to almost everyone. 

For the last 3 years my dear principal would dress up in his tux and walk around with a handful of fake roses and present one to each of his teachers.  It was just one of the many ways that he said "thank you."  I have kept these roses in this vase that was given to be by a student many years ago.  I think her name was Becky Richards, but my mind is slowing down and I'm not sure.  But it was the thought that counts.
I haven't kept many things given to me by students just because of the storage issues that I deal with But this vase  of flowers has come to mean a lot to me not only for its beauty. (my opinion) but for the many lovely things I remember about the children I have come in contact with over the many years.

Valentine's Day in the 60's and 70's was looked upon as a time when you gave a card to that special person with no strings attached.  Then it became like Halloween, how much candy did you get.  Still it was a time when kindness was at it's peak during the year and a time to show your teacher how much you cared.  The Valentine for the teacher was always picked out of the bunch as a special one and the child always wanted to make sure you saw his/hers first.
There was always a sick child who worried that their cards wouldn't get passed out or they wouldn't get any.

My favorite part was when the children would "quietly" sit and open their cards to see if so and so had given them one and to see if it was a special one.

I have found it interesting that among my fathers things we found  a classroom set of Valentine Day cards.  Probably 4th or 5th grade.  He had saved them for whatever reason.  They are beautiful.  I have provided pics of some of them and I am think of having them framed as a collage.  What do you think?


Aren't they sweet?  There are Victorian-like with lace and flowers, children with those beautiful round faces, silly ones like the clown and even a horse that stands up. Girls, what do you think? Should I just do one for me as a collage or four so each of you can have one.

Yes, I enjoy Valentine's Day.  And I have the sweetest, most understanding and loving Valentine of all. My Mister!!!!

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Those Valentines are priceless!

Jane Anne said...

Definately do something with them so they can be on display!

Mary Gardner said...

Can I be one of the "girls"? Just kidding; I'm sure I have some of these tucked away. I could never part with them because there's just nothing like them in the world.

Mary