Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What's in a Name?

I took care of Miss Lilly on Saturday.  She is so sweet and mellow, like Jane and Andrew when they were newborns.  I was "contemplating" the names that have been given to family members and thought it would be fun to determine where they came from on the Jones side of the family.


David was probably named after Dad's father who was married to Josephine.  I'm rather grateful that I wasn't next on the list for that one.  Richard, I have no idea where that came from.  Sorry, Richard.  Laurie,me, was named after a close friend of Mom and Dad's from Phoenix.  Mary Lynn was most fortunate.  If she had been a boy she would have been lucky enough to have the name of Melvin.  This has been a family joke for years.  Peggy, aka. Margaret probably came from an ancestor by the name of Margaret Fisher.  Only her husband calls her Margaret, lovingly.  The rest of us call her Peggy.  I'm sure that at some time in some of our lives, like me, have disliked the name that we were blessed with but with age we quite like them.

Many of our children have the middle name of Elaine, but no one has been given Dad's name, Raymond.  I love my Dad very much but his name isn't easy for a child.

My daughter Sandie was named for my dearest friend from college.  We called this friend Mama Sandie to distinguish between the two during those early years.

Jane was a favorite name of mine that I have loved for years.  Janie Hillier was a little girl I tended when I was a teen.

Andrew was an ancestral name that both Lee and I liked.

Dallin was given this name because although it was not used much, it was a strong and a determined name.  Dallin H. Oaks is where we heard the name.

So each of these names was given because of a person we admired and respected but the names that my children chose for their children (except for Lilly) are names that they liked.  There  is nothing wrong with the names that were given.  I just find it interesting as to how we came up with our names.  Certainly a "deep subject" to be discussed. j/k

4 comments:

Mary Gardner said...

And Mary Lynn knows she is MOST FORTUNATE of all to have been a girl. . . MELVIN????????

Love to all,

Mary Lynn (aka Melvin in another life)

Levi said...

seriously, Aunt Melvin? Too cool. I for one, think that Lilly is one of the most beautiful names of all the grandkids, how can you not like it? Since John Wayne was not accepted by Sandie for either of my boys, she is fortunate enough to have a little blond boy that provides her with plenty of sass. Ah yes, because she was always told she would get a kid that was just like her when she was mean and naughty. What is in a Name? Cort.

Hunsaker Family said...

I for one am majorly nostalgic (no surprise I know) about names. Each of my girls has a middle name that has great meaning (to me at least).
Elaine (Tara's 2 Grandmas)
Cressa (Darren's Grandma)
Lenore (Tara's Substitute Grandma)
Love,
Tara

Alissa said...

Finding the "right" name is proving to be one of the more challenging parts of getting ready for a baby. But I think I know your vote!