Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Robins and Button

American RobinYou remember Button.  Button  loves to play with toys.  A little background information.  We have a nest of robins in the tree outside our bedroom window.  The robins have sat on those eggs in the heat, pouring rain and the curiosity of grandchildren.  Yesterday was the first day out of the nest for the babies.  Always a grand accomplishment if  there are no dogs or cats around.


I was reading of course, when I knew that it was to quiet around the house.  I called for Button but he didn't appear.  I went outside and found him playing in the backyard with a toy.  He was having so much fun chasing, pouncing and batting this toy back and forth in his paws.  On closer look I saw that the toy was moving on its own.  It was one of our baby robins.  The parents were flittering back and forth on the fence--very upset.  They couldn't stop this torture of their little one.

I was finally able to get the poor thing away from Butt and put it over the fence in the neighbors yard.  I turned around to find that dog playing with another baby robin and I grabbed that one and put him over the fence.  I didn't find any others.  After a few hours I went to look for them but didn't see them anywhere.  I can only hope that they found safety.  It certainly wasn't in our yard.

4 comments:

Sandie said...

Levi's offer still stands.

Mary Gardner said...

If Levi's too busy, Joe's a stand-by offer.

Mary

Hunsaker Family said...

Bad Button! My contribution to your trauma of chasing baby birds involves my three observant girls, a mother quail, 12 darling baby quail (ducklings, chicks, something), and a MEAN OLD CAT!!!!
Love- Tara

Andrew and Lori said...

Your son made his wife pick up the dead bird at the church while he stood five feet away telling me how to pick it up. I could have used button at that moment!!