Monday, November 23, 2009

MARICOPA INDIANS

Elaine wrote...

While working on the Primary Stake Board of the Phoenix Stake (there was only one then) in May 1949, word was received that they were to start a Primary among the Maricopa Indians. Th me this seemed like a wonderful oportunity which I would like to participate in. I volunteered for this position. I say position, however, we didn't know what to call me so I was never given a title.

Our first meeting or two were held under the arbor of the Sundust family and both men ,women and children came until the Relief Society was organized and then the sisters attended that and loved it. Our average attendance was 9 adults and 20 children. This was the first time they had ever learned to do something for one another--when they learned to quilt. This was done until each sister had a quilt. They learned unselfishness, they learned to do for others, and they learned to love one another around those quilts. Lola Shumway was the first Relief Society President to go out to the Reservation. They loved her. She taught them how to do for themselves.

We would leave Phoenix every Saturday morning about 9:30 AM and stay until afternoon. I didn't have a car to use so had to depend on someone to take me out. I went the entire year without missing one week. But I had many different assistants, Maude Pace being the first one to go with me. Even I couldn't have done this without my baby sitter, June Marble, a teen-ager then, who came every week and didn't charge me. I'll never forget this wonderful service she did.

We didn't have an outine to follow--my but we were green. No one knew what to tell us to do so I took the lessons from the back of the Children's Friend which appeared then for the the missions. We tried to teach them good health habits and cleanliness, along with the gospel and handicrafts. The activity they loved the most was a game of baseball after every Primary -- I enjoyed it as much as they did. It ws wonderful to drive into the school yard and see those happy, smiling faces standing there waiting forus and waving goodbye as we drove away.

Before we could hold our meetings in the school house we had to clean is up, not having been used for so many years. One of the government workers told us that we had done more in 3 months than the other hurches and the government had been able to do in 20 years.

I moved away from Phoenix 10 years ago, and I know that there has been great improvement over our humble beginning but it was a beginning with love and a sincere effort to bring to these wonderful people the gospel of Jesus Christ.


Elaine Kimball Jones
1963

A New Birth

My life was in darkness, I searched and found
The truth and the joy of my life
I shall not be afraid of the dark
Steadfast and sure will I stand
To witness for my great Spirit in Heaven
For I found joy in life
Through the teachings of the Book of Mormon
It guided my life to a new birth.

Writings by Sally Sundust, 1949

5 comments:

Mary Gardner said...

One of my favorite pictures of mom; so glad you take the time to keep her memory alive.

Mary

jill said...

Dave loved the picture and the story. Thank you so much.
Jill H

Hunsaker Family said...

What an awesome story! I'm so glad you shared. I love hearing about Grandma!

Unknown said...

Are you people high?!!? This is NOT an awesome story, it's rather sad and this is where sterotypes of our people are born. We did not have to learn to be unselfish and do things for eachother. Native people were always giving and caring people we did everything for our families, our relatives, our tribe and even outsiders. We did know how to do for ourselves,we survived on this continent in some of the most rugged territory for thousands of years. We were clean and did have good health habits. It wasn't us who introduced diseases such as smallpox and we survived off the most natural, clean, organic plants, fruits, and meats. I realize this story is set in 1949 and peoples mindsets were alot different then, but it still should not be glorified as a great story.

Unknown said...

Great post about "MARICOPA INDIANS"

Commodity Trading Tips
Perfect Commodity Tips